Help! Messed up my MBR part 2

Here is some more information on my sad state!

I thought no problem, I'll just make a dos boot floppy.

wrong.  When I do a C: I can get to the drive but when
I try to do a dir or anything I get:
Invalid media type reading drive C

The machine I built the kernel for (the 386) is giving me
problems too.

I copied the zImage to a dos formated floppy and on reboot I
get:
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

The 386 has a simple setup.  One ide drive @120M only 1
partition /dev/hda1 /hda5 is swap.

After the kernel built I copied zImage to /boot
in / I made a sym link ln-s /boot/zImage .
I use the following /etc/lilo.conf:
/boot=/dev/hda1
/root=/dev/hda1
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=5
image=zImage
label=Linux
read-only

What am I doing wron on this machine?  I'm not having a very
productive day! :(

Thanks in advance for helping me out of this one too.

Brian