Hypernews (was Re: debian-newbie list)

> On Feb 20, Bruce Perens wrote
> > I think what we need first is a person to coordinate all of the oldbies
> > who are answering questions. There has to be a schedule, perhaps a mail
> > alias that is directed to different people at different times, etc.
> >
> > Second, we need a person who edits all of the questions and answers into a
> > web tree. The web tree should be orgnanized by package or something, and
> > then under the package name you see a big list of questions and click on
> > them to see tha answers.
>
> It could be very useful to use the same system that's used for the
> kernel hacker's guide (http://www.redhat.com:8080/HyperNews/get/khg.html).
> The KHG uses HyperNews
> (http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HyperNews/get/hypernews.html);

I was thinking that this would be a good thing to add to dwww (as an external
link).  Unfortunately, dwww (which I am furiously working away on) probably
won't be in any shape to support this for a few months.

My concept is:  when requesting help on a topic, dwww would identify which
package the topic belongs too.  Then, via a plug-in interface, other routines
could add additional text and links to the page returned by the search engine.

One of the plug-ins could be a link to a HyperNews archive.

I am very interested in doing this.  I am even willing to contribute space
on the dwww web server ( http://dwww.jimpick.com/ ) which I own.

Maybe we don't have to wait until I get around to fixing up dwww.  If someone
is willing to do the work, I can provide an account and space on my server
so that HyperNews could be set up and the proper heirarchy created.  Send me
some e-mail if you are interested.

Cheers,

 - Jim