Intranet

My church is building an intranet (Lord willing).
We are going to have @ 5 macs with localtalk and the localtalk server
connected to a PC runnning linux.
Can I have the Linux beast connected directly to the Mac toy with a single
rj45 cable or do I need a hub. (I know about the ethernet cards)
I also want to have one modem connected to the Linux beast so the others
can acces the web through the Linux beast.
I would also like to know if I really need any other software.
We are running on broken shoe strings and we need to prepare the youth of
today for the technologies of tommorrow.

Thanx
and may God Bless you
Seth R