trouble mounting my cd-rom

I have a SCSI cd-rom drive attached to an AHA-2940U controller. The boot
disk on the same controller is device 0 while the cd drive is device 3. My
machine boots fine off of the disk and it used to mount cd-roms without
trouble. At some point it stopped being able to do so:

spasm:/proc# mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/scd0 /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

Between the time it did work and now I have patched my kernel a few times.
It is now 2.0.27. I selected  scsi disk and cdrom support in the
menuconfig, but for the low-level drivers I only selected Adaptec
AHA274X/284X/294X support. I did not include non-scsi cd support, but I
did include iso9660.

During bootup the kernel does seems to recognize the cdrom drive:

Feb 20 01:40:04 spasm kernel: scsi0: Target 3, channel A, now synchronous
at 10.0MHz, offset 8.
Feb 20 01:40:04 spasm kernel:   Vendor: TEAC      Model: CD-ROM CD-56S
Rev:1.0D Feb 20 01:40:04 spasm kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM ANSI SCSI
revision: 02
Feb 20 01:40:04 spasm kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel
0, id 3, lun 0
Feb 20 01:40:04 spasm kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom 1 SCSI disk
total.

>From /proc/devices:

Block devices:
 1 ramdisk
 2 fd
 8 sd
11 sr

following the cdrom mini-faq:

spasm:/proc# dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/dev/null bs=2048
dd: /dev/scd0: I/O error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

spasm:/dev# ls -las scd0
   0 brw-rw----   1 root     root      11,   0 Dec 20 16:51 scd0

I would like to at least be able to resolve whether this is a hardware or
software problem. Any help would be appreciated.