Umsdos?

Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>   Ah, you make it sound so easy ;-)  I can't seem to get this right. I

Nor could I for a long time!

> copy the kernel to the file linux and run ./rdev.sh. This script tries
> to run "rdev /mnt/linux /dev/ram0" - and there is no /dev/ram0. Why does
> the script ask for something Debian doesn't supply? Anyway, if I ignore
> this error or run the command manually with /dev/ram (which I do have),
> and boot the floppy, it stops here:
>
> RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)
> Root is mounted from /dev/ram
> /etc/rc done.

I have to say I'm not sure what's going wrong. This looks like it
_might_ be a corrupted root fs image. ALT F3 gives a log of all
process deaths with error messages so any frantic activity should be
reflected there.

>  > As an alternative, you could try my modifications to the boot-floppies
>  > package to handle UMSDOS installs. There has just been a new
>  > boot-floppies release, so I'll have do some merging before I have a
>  > proper set of patches ready. Have a look at
>  > ftp://pootle.magd.cam.ac.uk/ if you are interested (patches against
>  > boot-floppies 1.2.5).
>
>   My mirror doesn't carry 1.2.5, only 1.2.4. It seems there's some stuff
> specific to your system in the patch (I saw some copying of loadlin);
> was I too early downloading it?

Oh dear, 1.2.4 is the current stable version, 1.2.6 is the current
unstable version. The boot-floppies package needs to reflect current
locations of packages needed for the install. To use it you will also
need an NFS mount (or whatever) of (parts of) a Debian distribution.
It is probably not worth your while for the moment.

I'll try and make up some new boot 'floppies' (actually just three
files to download onto your ZIP drive). They contain everything needed
to install the current _un_stable base packages; it would be nice to
see if one other person can get through a UMSDOS install. I'll let you
know when it's available by ftp from my machine. Let me know if you
need anything peculiar in the kernel (besides fat, umsdos, parallel
port?, scsi, etc, etc!)

Giuliano.