Re: lpr - help please!

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, William Chow wrote:
> I think that the lpr in Debian is broken. I had a similar problem, so I
> pulled lpr off of my Slack installation on another machine. Hopefully you
> can do the same.

Well, I investigated a little further.  Another list reader pointed me to
the fact that there might be a newer version available.  I took a look,
and I was using lpr_5.9-13 and a lpr_5.9-13.1 was available.  FTP'd it,
unpacked, still same problem.

So I grabbed the source, and diff files.  It appears that a problem with
'canonizing hostname' (whatever that means?) was fixed in July, and the
most recent release fixes a buffer overflow security bug.

At any rate, I'm still in the dark.  My problem, for those who havent
followed is the following error:

lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

Any help is still appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
rkolbush@ipass.net