Re: How to rebuild "available" file ?

On 15-Feb-97 Philippe Troin wrote:
>>On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:48:18 EST Stan Brown (stanb@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>> I just got a new CD from Iconnect. I ran "Update availble" and now I have a
>> problem.
>>
>> An simple atemp to do dpkg -i "package_name" returns the folowing erro:
>>
>> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 13771
>> package `zlib1':
>>  empty value for version
>>
>> What can I do to rebuild this file correctly ?
>
>Just choose [U]pdate in the dselect menu. It will rebuild an available file.

I usually got this error when doing an update (or at least right after
updating).  It seems to be the consensus on debian-user to do something like a
'dpkg --clear-avail' and then upgrade dpkg to the one currently in stable.

Paul

Paul Rightley                     DX-3 Hydrodynamics, MS P940
Los Alamos National Laboratory    Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone: (505)667-0460              Fax: (505)665-3359
Email: Paul Rightley <pright@lanl.gov>