Re: /usr/include/linux, /usr/include/asm, ...

On Feb 18, Hamish Moffatt wrote
> > 	So, what else are the links good for? Most programs do not
> >  (and should not) depend on kernel version specific api's; and the
> >  handful that do should ask for and include -I/usr/src/linux anyway.
>
> Has anyone had any luck compiling (z)ftape 3.02 on debian, then?
> I've tried, but it (reasonably) requires current kernel headers,
> and despite adding the above to several Makefiles, it still
> does not look in /usr/src/linux first.
>
> Besides, the gcc manual page says:

Like most GNU manpages, it says: refer to the info version for up to date /
more complete information. There you find

	-isystem dir
	   Add a directory to the beginning of the second include path,
	   marking it as a system directory, so that it gets the same
	   special treatment as is applied to the standard system
	   directories.
	-nostdinc
	   Do not search the standard system directories for header files.
	   Only the directories you have specified with `-I' options (and
	   the current directory, if appropriate) are searched. See section
	   Options for Directory Search, for information on `-I'. By using
	   both `-nostdinc' and `-I-', you can limit the include-file search
	   path to only those directories you specify explicitly.

Which should provide you with the control needed.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would