Re: Weird! My network turns itself off on bootup! Why?

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, trio wrote:
> > >     wd io=0x280 irq=5
> > >
> > > This loads the driver module at boot time for my wd8003 card - they're
> >
> >    Is there a syntax listing for the /etc/modules file somewhere? I'm
> > running a 3c509.
>
> command line options for modules vary depending on what module is being
> loaded.  many of them take an 'io=' and an 'irq=' option. check the notes
> in the linux kernel source: /usr/src/linux/Documentation (you must
> have the kernel source installed to do this, of course). also, check
> the source code for the individual drivers - options are quite often
> NOT documented and the only way to find out about them is to read the
> source.

   Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to look into it.

> > Any idea what i'd need? Right now, mine says:
> >
> > #auto
> > 3c509
> > sg
> >
> >    What do those things mean?
>
> OK, you're loading the 3c509 module and the scsi generic module... looks
> like my guess was wrong.
>
> The 3c509 module can be given io= and irq= options in /etc/modules (or
> in /etc/conf.modules)

   Wow. Now i see a /etc/conf.modules! I was looking for all the *.conf
files, but didn't see that one. On the other hand, there's no man page
for that either.

> Try removing the '#' from the '#hash' line. See if that makes any
> difference.

   What #hash line?

> here's something for you to try.
>
>  1. run 'lsmod' to list all loaded modules.  make sure that 3c509 is listed.
>
>     e.g. (from one of my systems - yours will vary a bit)
>
>     # lsmod
>     Module:        #pages:  Used by:
>     isofs              5            1
>     sr_mod             4            1
>     serial             8            1
>     lp                 2            0
>     sound             25            0
>     nfs               13            6
>     appletalk          4            11
>     ip_alias           1            1
>     wd                 2            1            <-- my wd8003 module
>     8390               2    [wd]    0            <-- the 8390 module is used
>                                                      by the wd8003 module

   Excellent. I didn't know about that one either.

>  2. run 'ifconfig eth0' to display interface configuration details.  make sure
>     that your ethernet interface is configured properly.
>
>     e.g.
>
>     # ifconfig eth0
>     eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:0A:44:A5
>               inet addr:203.16.167.2  Bcast:203.16.167.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>               EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/241
>               UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>               RX packets:1501003 errors:5 dropped:0 overruns:0
>               TX packets:1269427 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>               Interrupt:5 Base address:0x290 Memory:d0000-d2000

   This one is fine.

>  3. run 'cat /proc/ioports' to see what I/O ports are in use in your system
>
>     # cat /proc/ioports
>
>      0:  166488335   timer
>      1:    1601282   keyboard
>      2:          0   cascade
>      3:    4802968 + serial
>      5:    2694949   WD8003-old             <--- here's my wd8003
>      7:       3653   sound blaster
>      8:          1 + rtc
>     12:    1141666 + 53c7,8xx
>     13:          1   math error
>     14:    3335560 + ide0
>

>  4. run 'cat /proc/interrupts' to see what IRQs are in use:  e.g.
>
>     # cat /proc/interrupts
>      0:  166488335   timer
>      1:    1601282   keyboard
>      2:          0   cascade
>      3:    4802968 + serial
>      5:    2694949   WD8003-old             <--- here's my wd8003
>      7:       3653   sound blaster
>      8:          1 + rtc
>     12:    1141666 + 53c7,8xx
>     13:          1   math error
>     14:    3335560 + ide0
>
>    your 3c509 should should be listed in both /proc/ioports and
>    /proc/interrupts. Make sure that the irq & interrupt are correct.

   Two more i didn't know about! Is there a book about administration or
networking that teaches these things? I read a few books a couple of
years ago and those tools were not mentioned.

>  5. wait for the problem to occur again.
>
>  6. repeat the tests above.  compare differences.

   Excellent idea.

> also, try to determine under what circumstances the ethernet
> configuration is lost....is it at a certain time of day? is it when the
> network card is receiving/transmitting a lot of traffic? is it when the
> network card is idle for some time? is it when the system is under a
> heavy load?  is it after you run a certain program?

   Well, despite the fact that i'm getting duplicates of all the e-mail
to the debian-users list, you may not have seen the one that says i
"fixed" this. It only happens when booting. I created an S14network which
restarted things, but then it was still turned off. So someone else
proposed it and i changed it to S98network and now the timing works. The
network comes up (as noted by a ping from another machine), then it goes
down and then the S98 kicks in and it stays up.

   Thanks again for all your help. This is very useful information and i
really appreciate it.

universero trio... trio@tio.net... http://tio.net/~trio
Learn and use The International Language Esperanto!