can't seem to load linux on micron transport laptop

Hello,
	I am trying to install debian linux 1.22 on my micron transport laptop
and have come across an unfathomable problem. When I boot off of the
root diskette, I get a long series of messages on the screen with the
last message indicating that linux is probing for a sanyo cdrom drive
(which I have on the transport) and then the system would power off with
the screen going blank. This happens consistently, and I can see no
reason for this. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions. Thanks,