Re: Getting cron.daily to start sooner?

Hi Chad --
You asked:

> Is there a way that I can get cron.daily to start running it's processes
> before 12am?  I have a program in there that needs to run before the new
> day starts so that is can get the correct data.

The system crontab uses a file /etc/crontab.  This is to be distinguished
from any particular user's crontab; users' crontab files are
in /var/spool/cron/crontabs.  The difference between the system crontab
file and users' crontab files are mentioned in the man page for cron.

So just edit the file: /etc/crontab
The first two values on each non-commented line are
(1) the minute after the hour when a command runs, and
(2) the hour when the command runs.

The details of the format of the system crontab file and other crontab
files can be reviewed by executing:
   man 5 crontab

Hope that helps.
Susan Kleinmann