Newbie questions (hope those are not FAQ !)

Greetings,

I tried to install Debian 1.2 (from Infomagic Dec.1996) yesterday, and had
a few problems :

- while installing packages with dselect, i get a few odd messages like
(sorry cannot remember the exact messages but it means... ):
	[Lots of install messages]
	Updating foo.1-2-18 (new version is foo.1.2.19)
	Updating foo.1-2-19 (new version is foo.1.2.18)
	[Lots of install messages]

-Tried to install netscape and it cannot find libxpm.so (which is installed
of course). Everything seems OK except there is no ld.so anywhere (just
the docs and man pages). Same problem with other packages, of course.

Where am I wrong ? Is the Infomagic cdrom a good source for the Debian
distribution ?

Thanx a lot in advance.

Rod.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist
on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                                            (Terry Pratchett, Diggers)