Re: Where can I find xterm_color?

Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> writes:

> I have XTerm handling colors, and 'ls' will also generate colors, but
> only for file types such as directories and executables.  The
> 'dircolors' executable just sets up "LS_COLORS=''", which isn't very
> useful.  The documentation for 'dircolors' refers to using 'dircolors
> --print-data-base' for help on what format to use, so I saved the
> output and tried running dircolors on it, but it still sets LS_COLORS
> to a null string.  Does anybody have any information on how to get
> 'ls' to colorize files by file name, such as the old color-ls used to
> do?  Unless I am completely missing something obvious, it looks like
> either 'dircolors' doesn't work, or the documentation is completely
> wrong (this is running on Debian 1.2).

I am following up to my original message after a few helpful messages.
I have it working now, but what worries me is that I was doing
everything right before.  I tried using dpkg to re-install fileutils
and libc5, but it still didn't work, so I then re-booted and dircolors
started working properly.  The problem was 'dircolors' and not 'ls',
since as I said before running 'dircolors' by itself gave a null
string for LS_COLORS.  I am sure that I have rebooted since I upgraded
from 1.1, but I don't know why this time got everything working.
Maybe fileutils or libc5 hadn't properly upgraded before.

Anyways, thanks for the very helpful replies.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org