Debian1.2 on InfoMagic doesn't install properly

Hi there,

Sad new. It seems like Debian1.2 on the Dec 1996 InfoMagic CD ROM is
kind of broken: the X stuffs just would not install properly !!!

A guy in our lab was going to install linux on one of the PC. Since I
am a happy Debain user, I suggested him to try Debain.

Unfortunately, while deselecting packages, some complains about
'X11R6 not available' even though xbase3.2 version 3.2-1a is selected.
Does xbase3.2 not provide/replace X11R6 ?? Below is what xbase3.2 looks in
Packages file,

-------------------------------
Package: xbase
Version: 3.2-1a
Section: x11
Maintainer: Stephen Early <sde1000@debian.org>
Depends: libc5 (>= 5.2.18), ncurses3.0, xlib6 (>= 3.2-0), cpp
Recommends: xserver-vga16 | xserver
Conflicts: xdependencies, xstd, xbaseR6
Provides: xbaseR6
Replaces: xdependencies, xstd, xbaseR6
Architecture: i386
Filename: frozen/binary-i386/x11/xbase_3.2-1a.deb
msdos-filename: frozen/msdos-i386/x11/xbase.deb
-------------------------------

An example package which complains about X11R6 is xasteroids version
5.0 whose description in the Packages file is :

-----------------------
Package: xasteroids
Version: 5.0
Section: games
Maintainer: Klee Dienes <klee@sedona.com>
Depends: libc5, X11R6, elf-x11r6lib
Filename: frozen/binary-i386/games/xasteroids_5.0-4.deb
msdos-filename: frozen/msdos-i386/games/xasterod.deb
------------------------

Anyway, the guy couldn't get Debain installed properly on the PC and I
am too new to Debian to help him to sort the problem out quick
enough!! He eventually went for Slackware and he is now a happy
Slackware user !!

I am quite sure the Debain team has done proper testing on the
installion before releasing it on CD ROM. I wonder if anyone out
there have encounterd similar problems with the same CD ROM set ??

It is kind of sad really because this is the 1st of many PCs round
here which he is going to put Linux on. I am a bit frustrated because
I would like to see Debian running on all the PCs but was unable to
help him sorting out the installion problems quick enough.

Well, any comments, explanations, fixes??

Thanks a lot

H.C.Lai