Re: Can any one recommend a mailreader...

On Jan 15, Walter Tautz wrote
> other than pine. I would like a simple curses based
> reader

> that easily allows one to configure the mail to read
> automatically into separate folders depending on
> the address it came from,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you here: if you want incoming mail to
be split into different folders, this should be done by a mail-processor
(such as procmail or mailagent), rather than a mail user agent ("mailer").

> allows filename completion
> when reading files in or when going to different folders,etc.
>
> Preferably any configuration should be built into the interface
> itself, i.e. it would be nice to avoid editing a configuration
> file directly.

Mutt comes close: it is curses based and can be configured to go through
several folders in sequence. It does have a configuration file however
(although you can change settings for the current run at run-time).

Other distinguishing features: MIME support (mutt handles text types itself,
others go through metamail), threading, PGP support, color support,
message postponement, very configurable, easy for ELM users to switch to.

See http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~me/mutt/index.html ,
http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/ for detailed information.

HTH,
Ray

P.S. Debian has a mutt package, but it is somewhat outdated.
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would