Re: [1.2 installation]: how to tell X to ...)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:40:34 -0500 "Daniel S. Barclay"
<daniel@compass-da.com> writes:

>> From: Fabien Ninoles <ninf01@castor.gel.usherb.ca>
>
>> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Daniel S. Barclay wrote:
>>
>> > However, how are users supposed to find out about those things?
>> > (Not to say your suggestion is bad, but to address how to make
>that
>> > information easier to find.)
>>
>> What about a "Tip of the day" package in place of fortune
>> (just kidding ;)
>
>Good.  :-)  I HATE that "feature" of Windows 95.  (I want a f**cking
>manual
>so I can look up what I need now and/or so I can read whole sections
>and know
>I know how to do whatever comes up in the future, without having to
>wait
>for random tip selection to have covered everything in the tips
>list--which
>is pretty short anyway.)
>
>Oh...yeah; sorry.  Okay.
>#undef HATE_MICROSOFT_MODE
>

>> > Several comments / suggestions / questions / other ramblings, some
>directly
>> > on this, and some on documentation more generally:
>> >
>> > 1.  I wish more old things pointed to new things (new things that
>replace or
>> > 	just enhance them), especially in manual pages (or
>wherever we think
>> > 	users usually look for definitive documentation).
>> >
>> > 	(You can find out you're doing things the wrong way or an
>old way
>> > 	by mentioning it on a mailing list, but that knowledge
>(from people
>> > 	who know about newer things) doesn't get captured in the
>written
>> > 	documentation as much as it might.)
>>
>> That's why Archive Mailing List are for. Did you suggest we should
>packed
>> it for local use and search?
>
>No, I wasn't suggesting that.
>
>Hmm.  No, I don't think I'd want that--too much to search through and
>I don't
>think you could search it very reliably.
>

>> > 	I know a new package can't modify an existing manual page
>> > 	(especially when you haven't even loaded the package on
>your system
>> > 	yet), but...
>> >
>> > 2.  ...maybe creators and maintainers of new packages could ask
>maintainers
>> > 	(at least of documentation) of older packages to add links
>to the
>> > 	manual pages (etc.)
>>
>> I didn't undrestand your point here.
>
>If command "old_simple_x" is superseded by "new_fancy_x", then ideally
>the documentation for old_simple_x that a user might run into (e.g.,
>the
>manual page) would say "don't forget that now there is new_fancy_x you
>might
>want to use instead."
>
>I _have_ seen that on a few Unix manual pages or somewhere similar
>(maybe
>GNU info pages for the C library, documenting routines that still
> [...]

Just for kicks, I went into Windoze95's brilliant ; ) regedit (I just
love how it loads in 5MB of drivers for programs I don't have anymore)
and clicked through the tree like this:

My Computer ---
	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
		SOFTware
			Micro$oft
				Windows
					Current Version
						explorer
							tips
[hows that for ease of use!]

Now you can edit all those wonderful tips, for when windoze 95 starts up.
Your family will love you for it.  'I love you honey' goes over better
than:
"You can minimize neck strain by positioning your monitor at eye
level."-- I hope this isn't a copyrighted phrase.

Well that all I have to say!

Windows[n.]- another pane in the glass.
Want a laugh and learn about me:  http://www.ccil.org/~wood/
Have a great day/night whatever, I don't seem know 1 from the other.