Dpkg Downgrade (fwd)

Victor still can't post on the list, so I'm forwarding this here.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:20:35 -0500
From: root <vtorrico@cfw.com>
To: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
Cc: Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject: Dpkg Downgrade

Hi Dale,

If your workload allows would you please post this to the list. I can
read the list traffic but still cannot post to the list.

Thanks,

Victor

How to I go back to and older version of dpkg?  Specifically from
version 1.4.0.6 to version 1.4.0.5.  I tried all the dpkg install/force
options with no luck. I don't want to dpkg --purge the file since there
would be nothing there to use to install/bootstrap itself.

The specific problem I'm having with 1.4.0.6 is that it won't read the
Packages file no matter what I try. The ftp connection works fine until
it gets to that point in the download process.  Want to go back to
1.4.0.5 to see if the same thing happens there. 1.4.0.5 always worked OK
for me before.