Re: cron is dying...

On Jan 15, larry@earthlight.co.nz (Adam Shand) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been dealt with before....
>
> We're running cron 3.0pl1-32 on a debian 1.1 installation.  Ocasionally
> cron dies which is rather annoying.
> [snip]
> I have just upgraded to the latest verion on the FTP site cron 3.0pl1-36.1
> and hopefully this will help.

The upgrade should solve your problem. The actual problem is
that if syslogd restarts, the syslog(3) call no longer works
for those processes that have used logopen(), because syslogd
is no longer listening on the other end of the pipe; instead,
SIGPIPE is generated. The temporary fix for cron was to catch
the SIGPIPE and re-open the pipe. The real fix would
be for syslog(3) catch the SIGPIPE and DTRT.

BTW, if you're upgrading, -36.1 should be fine, but if you deleted
and re-installed, you'll need to check that the rc.d links got
installed correctly. If not, you can reset them with

   update-rc.d cron defaults 89

This is fixed in -37, which should show up on the ftp site in the next
few days (it's been uploaded, but because it's going into stable, needs
to be moved by hand.)

Steve

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

	"I've always hated that sign and all its cheap film noir symbolism."
[Kelvin Mace]