Colors in an Xterm

Hi,
I have just installed a new debian box and I am missing the diferent colors
that ls uses to distinguish the files. This works ok in a virtual console but
not in an xterm. Before there used to be a color-xterm package that was needed
but it has disappeared. From the manual page for xterm, it would seem that it
does understand the coloring when using the +cm option. But this does not
produce the desired result but only prints some files using boldface. What am
I missing? Any hints would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Luis.