Re: What is the best window manager?

> Hello, all!
>
> I like to know more about the window managers. There are
> many ones, and I think that a good thing would be a list
> of main resources, memory uses and so on about all of
> them.
>
> I'm now using FVWM2, but I don't know if it's the best
> for my needs. And learning all of the window managers
> to select one is (IMHO) a waste of time.

well, fvwm95 is basically the same as fvwm2, just a different
look. If you want a really extentable one, gwm is the way
to go (but I don't speak elisp, so I don't really know).

Personally, I'd just stick with fvwm2

> One more thing: what's the "menu" package that some
> persons are talking about?

That's the package that tries to take away part of the
need to learn the window-manager your're using (the part
of making the menus). The menuentries will be added/removed
when the packages that provide the apps are installed/removed.

Wait till tonight/tomorrow, install menu-0.10 (menu-0.9 is OK
too, but the README is old, and doens't have any man [1] pages)

Unfortunatly, at the moment most debian window-managers don't
support the menupackage directly, though. If you want support for
your window manager, read /usr/doc/menu/examples/README, and copy
the appropriate files to /etc/menu-methods/, to ge the menu-entries
in your window manager (olvwm (debian rev 2) is the only wm
that at the moment supports the menus directly; pdmenu (a text-based
menu system) also supports it).

menu-0.10 will be available on master's incomming, but if you
don't have access to that, check
  ftp://rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl/debian/upload
(that's where it will appear first, and be removed shortly after
it's moved to the main distribution).

[1] manual files in menu-0.10 by Joey Hess -- Thanks!

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl