Re: A proposal to improve dselect

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Ralph Winslow wrote:

> This seems easily addressed by honoring the Users' EDITOR environment
> variable setting, so why not?

This may already be implemented, so forgive me if I haven't researched
dselect enough: how about using a config file where we can remap all the
keystrokes?  My first thought when running dselect was, "WTF?"  My second
was, "How do I quit?  The command line couldn't possibly be as confusing."

I'm not knocking the program; it's really cool.  I just can't handle the
user interface.  Maybe some hacker can rip out the base of dselect and
turn it into a library (libdebian?), so that people can easily design
programs with the functionality of dselect, but with a custom UI.