Re: WHY does xemacs CONFLICT with emacs?

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Dr. Andreas Wehler wrote:

>  xemacs uses >6MB (on some other machine), emacs <2MB (on
> linux).  So my question: why may xemacs and emacs not be
> used alternately under linux, as they play on e.g. IRIX?
>
> Thank you,

The conflict merely come with 5 files: ctags, etags, emacclient, b2m and
some other one I don't remember. Incredibly, although they have the same
functionality, this 5 files aren't the same. The mainteners of emac,
xemacs and elvis (elvis too as ctags and etags) try to convince of a way
to done everything but emacs and xemacs are big and unreliable source
code. This can take some time before it be done.

I install emacs (after xemacs) with dpkg --force-conflict and don't have
problem for the moment. I continue to experiment but I could say I didn't
install anything else. I have to do this cause I'm the new auctex
maintainer and I want to put both an emacs and an xemacs version of the
package... I think I will put my hands too in emacs and xemacs if I
could find some place in my HD.