Re: Is there a Diald Guru in the House?

Thanks for your response!

> From: Jens B. Jorgensen <jjorgens@bdsinc.com>
> To: Kevin Traas <ktraas@uniserve.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Is there a Diald Guru in the House?
> Date: Wednesday, January 08, 1997 7:18 AM
>
> Kevin Traas wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to get Diald cofigured on my Linux 1.2.1 box and am running
into
> > some problems I'm hoping you can help me with.....
> >
> > Here's what I'm experiencing:
> >
> > I've got debugging turned on and from "/var/log/messages" I'm finding
the
> > following: (I'm happy with the first two lines; however, I think the
> > following two are a problem....>
> >
> > local IP address a.b.c.y
> > remote IP address a.b.c.z
> > ppp not replacing existing default route to sl0[a.b.c.z]
>
> As the others who posted responses to this have said:
> the documentation that indicates a number of options you
> should not use in your ppp options file. Diald passes these options
> itself. Here's an excerpt from the diald(8) man page:
>
>        When diald is being used in PPP mode extra options can b
>         passed on to pppd by specifying them after a "--" on  the
>        command  line.   This  should not normally be necessary as
>        default options can be placed  into  the  /etc/ppp/options
>        file.  But,  if you need to run multiple instances of pppd
>        with different options then you will have to make  use  of
>        this  ability.   Note that some pppd options should not be
>        specified, not even in the /etc/ppp/options file,  because
>        they  will  interfere  with the proper operation of diald.
>        In particular you should not specify the tty  device,  the
>        baud  rate,  nor  any  of  the  options  crtscts, xonxoff,
>        -crtscts, defaultroute,  lock,  netmask,  -detach,  modem,
>        local, mtu and proxyarp.  Use the equivalent diald options
>        to control these pppd settings.

Okay.  Thanks for the info.  I've checked things out and I don't have any
of these options specified in the /etc/ppp/options file.  Yet things still
aren't working.

> > Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
>
> Are you using proxy-arp? If you don't have an ethernet connection
> on your machine you don't need this.

I was trying to; however, whenever it is enabled, I get the above error
message in /var/log/messages.  And, yes, I do have an ethernet connection.
This box is acting as a router between my ISP and my LAN.

> > I've got ppp configured as per the "ppp-HOWTO".  Everything is working
well
> > there, so I'm pretty sure all of my problems are related to "Diald"
> > configuration.
> >
> > On the diald front, everything pretty much follows the default settings
> > (except for "local", "remote", and "connect" in
/etc/diald/diald.options).
> > The "connect" string is set to run "/etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-up" which is
the
> > same script I've successfully used to establish a ppp connection.
> >
> > If you want to see my various scripts and conf/option files, please
e-mail
> > me directly and I'll send them to you.
> >
> > TIA for your help or any tips you can give me,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst
Edmondson Roper
Chilliwack, BC, Canada