Re: A proposal to improve dselect

>>>>> "Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> writes:

Hamish> We should certainly not force a particular editor down
Hamish> anyone's throat, especially emacs :-)

I think it is pretty safe to assume that many Linux people use BASH.
>From the bash manpage

[...]
READLINE
       This  is the library that handles reading input when using
       an interactive shell, unless the -nolineediting option  is
       given.   By default, the line editing commands are similar
       to those of emacs.  A vi-style line editing  interface  is
       also available.
[...]

I don't remember seeing complains saying bash should certainly not
force emacs-bindings down someone's throat.

IMHO, having some consistencies across applications that involve
editing is good.  Having said that, are key bindings of an editor
appropriate for dselect is another question.

regards,

--
Billy C.-M. Chow <cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk>
Department of Systems Engineering