Re: Problems with 1.2.1

> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
>

> > ok, I installed Debian for the first time about 3 weeks ago (1.2), I've
> > been running Linux for a few years and have previously installed slackware and
> > two versions of red-hat.  All in all I'm very pleased with Debian (and I am
> > especially attracted by debian's general design philosophies), however I'm
> > a little surprised at the state of what are called "stable" releases.
> >    Now, my hard-drive collapsed a few days ago, so I've had the please of
> > doing a fresh install of 1.2.1.  Unfortunately I had the ncftp problem
> > another person struck a few days ago, that is I used ncftp to get the
> > distribution and ncftp seems not to like symlinks in its recursive mode,
> > therefore I downloaded all of rex then downloaded rex-updates and moved the
> > updates into the rex tree (along with the packages.gz file from rex-fixed).
> > Its possible that this butchery has been reflected in some (but not all) of
> > the problems listed below.
> >

> If you are using dselect to do the install you will find many things
> broken by the method you used. The principle thing that you broke, by
> integrating new packages in by hand in the "Packages" files. This file is
> what dselect uses to resolve dependencies and choose packages.

But if I have correctly moved the packages from rex-updates into their
correct places in rex, then moved Packages.* from rex-fixed also into rex then
my rex should be the same as rex-fixed shouldn't it?

> Dpkg (maybe it's in dpkg-dev) provides dpkg-scanpackages for
> reconstructing Packages files. You will need an override file from the
> indices directory as well in order to use this.
> Once you have done this, it would be informative to know what else caused
> problems.

Well a few problems were caused by me not deleting the old packages from the
tree when I had moved across new ones.  Also a few problems were caused
by packages that had been fixed but hadn't reached my mirror at the time I
downloaded the whole lot.

Unfortunately I don't have time to do another fresh install, so unfortunately
due to the non-standard install method (which sounds like it was definately
part of the problem), all the data I collected on the install process is
pretty useless as far as putting in reliable bug reports goes :(...but maybe
someone else doing a fresh install the right way could use some of the notes
as a cross-reference for any probs they have.

Is it possible that some packages that have had problems that are fixed are
only reaching the development release?  I noticed that apache (which i'm about
to do a reported bug check on) has a very messed up directory structure
despite noticing a couple of recent updates to the unstable version of this
package.

> Luck,

Thanks.