Re: A proposal to improve dselect

Hello

I think the ide of a simpel istall-tool as a compliment to dselect
wery-much-as-it-is is a god ide. Making dselect more a mangement tool
then an install tool. Dselect is a good managment tool, but less god
first install tool for inexperient users. Most of the problems that
comes with dselect comes of less sucessfull atempt to be a install
tool for a novice. One is the way dselect treats recomend dependece.
The intension, as I understand it, is to give more guidance to
novice users. To some extent it do help keeping systems sane, but
ther MUST (IMHO) still be a way to tell dselect to treat recomends
like it treats sugests. A comand line toggel wold do. Also a experient
user gain allot from using dselect, so ponting att dpkg as an
alternativ is not the answer her.

This leaves us with to questions

  o How to inprove dselect further as an mantain-tool. I find most
    of the previus posters 'smal' sugestions, like inproved searches,
    less noice, logging e t c being god and construktive ones.

  o How a simpel install-tool may look.

To open a third question, when debian is first run dselect starts
automagicaly, then disapers from the startup equaly automagicaly.
IMHO it is better to start some 'debian install/maintain menu' from
root bashrc (or what ewer). dselect, the new install tool, the basic
docs, posably some of the tools from the install disks (module
config, kebordsettup, systemname setupp etc) and a shell is nice
fings for that menu. That menu shuld not disaper automagicaly!
Anny user not noving how to remove it will not want to remowe it!
It's great for a novice to have all the basic stuff handy in place.

This new esy-install-tool and smal fixes to dselect will fast make
debian better an more atractiv without loosing anny old featurs.

In the long run i think dselect should work aganst some library
that works both from a terminal and from X and svgalib e t c with
the same aplication source. Big changes (if neded) can wait untill
this rewrite.

I am working on one, but the documentation is poor and even worse
(for most of You) only in Swedish. In short, it's intended to be
som kind of 'Meta library' or wraparound not implementing much
self if its alredy availbly. But giving one programming-interface
to allot of userinterface. Also making it 'esy' to add new user
interface. Anyway, it not in a usefull state yet. If annyone is
intrested, mail me and I mail back when i have some desent
documentation on my Webpage. At that time, any help will be
welcome! Pleace dont expect rapid reply, I do not have all the
time i want :(

Sorry for my poor english /Lars

--
   /  / _/_ _/_ Lars Hallberg IT-konsult      Micro++
  /\_/\ /   /   www.micropp.se/lah            www.micropp.se