Re: A proposal to improve dselect

This is getting a little bit off topic, but is there a working group for
making Debian easier to install? Not just dselect, but the documentation,
the layout and organization of www.debian.org, the whole works? If there is,
I want to get involved with it because I am starting a project now that I've
been thinking about for some time: making a custom Debian "distribution"
geared toward writers, artists and other creative types who don't have much
knowledge of Linux to start with. I think we're reaching the time where such
a thing is possible, what with the quality and scope of the software that's
out there. What has to be done now is ease of installation and the whole
package maintenance thing, more tutorials (both paper and digital, including
interactive, like a "training shell" perhaps). I know this is a large
undertaking -- in the extreme sense, where a Linux/UNIX total beginner buys
one of these machines with Linux installed, they're going to need help with
administration. Actually, they're going to need someone _else_ to administer
it. So I wonder about the feasability of some "volunteer Linux
administration network," where the end-user has their machine connected to
the net via a dialup line and this volunteer network has an admin account on
the machine where they can go in and perform routine tasks that need to get
done. Or volunteer members get "sponsor" users who are geographically near
them, and only that volunteer has admin access to the machine. Maybe this
could be tied in with all the Linux user groups that are sprouting up
everwhere, I don't know -- just some open thoughts for debate.

Michael Stutz                                  | DESIGN  SCIENCE  LABS
http://dsl.org/m                               | Hypermedia, Internet,
Linux/GNU bumper stickers,indie rock,rants     | Linux: http://dsl.org