Re: Problem with /etc/printcap

In <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.970107102307.13690B-100000@poynting.phy.ulaval.ca> Dany Dionne <ddionne@poynting.phy.ulaval.ca> writes:

>Hi,
>I try to print on a ethernet printer ( HP Laserjet 4m ) and i have some
>problem with /etc/printcap, so i can use the printer.
>If i try to print with lpr or if i try a lpq, i receive the error message:

>lpr: lp: unknow printer.

>My /etc/printcap is:

>lj-5|remote-hplj:\
>        :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
>        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-5:\
>        :rm=132.203.76.56:rp=raw:

The obvious first question in, are you using lpr -Plj-5? If you are,
then the message must be coming from the remote. Is raw really the name
the remote printer has been installed as ? rp in printcap is supposed to
be the name of the remote printer, traditionally as it was known to the
computer it is attached to. Also, lp is usually left blank in the
printcap examples I've seen for remote printers.

--
John Henders  - System Administrator - Mindlink!/Wimsey