Re: Help please: installation of TeTeX on a Debian machine.

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Chow Chi-Ming wrote:

> I thought the ``provides'' field should contain ONLY the ``agreed''
> (discussed in debian-devel) virtual package names.  Does dpkg work if
> the virtual package names are not official?

Obviously it does here without problems. Sorry, i don't know of this
discussion. This debian-user list here is already too much to take for me
for it's high traffic. ;-)

> Paul> Maybe somebody else has already developed a fine wrapper script
> Paul> for an installation of the teTeX binary distribution without
> Paul> dangerful messing around with system files?
>
> I think unlike netscape, most of teTeX should be free and therefore
> don't need a wrapper package a la netscape.

No, a wrapper is just for installing a binary distribution of a program
not available in native Debian format. Binaries for teTeX could be
installed just like netscape's inside the Debian package management
scheme, that's all. Doesn't have anything to do with whether the program
is free or not. But for teTeX is valid that it is available in source and
that it is available under the GPL.
Someone else in this list already suggested to use the RedHat *.rpm of
teTeX for installation via the 'alien' command which should work as well.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask from a naive ethnologist like me i'd
really love to package teTeX as native Debian package and provide it for
the rest of the Debian user commnity. But that's probably too much strange
magic for my small brain... ;-)
                                            Regards, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de