Re: Password

    Chuma> Today I booted linux and it won't let me in. I log in as
    Chuma> root and give it <CR> at password prompt. Keeps rejecting
    Chuma> me.

    Chuma> How do I get around this? I hate to think that I have to re
    Chuma> install from scratch after all the work I did getting it to
    Chuma> where I like it.

Try booting from your trusty rescue diskette (what? you don't have
one?) (which will automatically log you in as root).  Mount the root
partition under /mnt or something appropriate to your rescue diskette
and use 'vi' to edit /etc/passwd.  An entry for 'root' with no password
looks something like this:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

(the space between the first and second colons should be empty).

HTH

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast