sound & cdrom

I've read all this stuff about PnP cards not being supported in the
kernel.  I recompiled my kernel before I realized that I had a SB16 PnP
(atleast according to the model numbers at Creative Labs it's PnP).
However, it worked, and I get sound.

Jan  5 07:05:35 timberwolf kernel: Sound initialization started
Jan  5 07:05:35 timberwolf kernel: <Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq
5 dma 1,5
Jan  5 07:05:35 timberwolf kernel: <Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 5 dma 0
Jan  5 07:05:35 timberwolf kernel: <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
Jan  5 07:05:35 timberwolf kernel: Sound initialization complete

Odd, I suppose this should mean I have a PnP compatible (?) card, or
somebody goofed somewhere.  Anyway, it recognizes the sound card, but not
the cdrom when I boot.  The cdrom is located at 1E8,11 so I suppose I
should be using the kernel command line of ide2=0x1e8,0x3ee,11 (& hd?) for
this. I boot linux from a disk, though, and I can't seem to make it let me
give such a line on boot. How can I get the kernel to recognize the cdrom?
Or, does no support for PnP apply to the cdrom as well as the sound card?

Thanks,

	Amy