Re: New 1.2 install / Observations / X-window startx problem.

> 3. OK now, request help for this: My preference in using Linux is doing
> most of my editing work on a console and only when I need graphics go to
> X-windows. So I prefer to use startx and not xdm. The XFree86 3.2 that
> comes with slackware works fine. However, with debian, the screen flashes
> once, X-windows seem to come up for a second and then promptly exit.
> Obviously, I need to do some additional configuration. Something to do
> with the window managers perhaps? I would appreciate any pointers / suggestions
> on this.

I remember when I first installed X in my Debian 1.1 box that X came up
for a second or so and the exit. After I examined the log files in
/var/log I realized that the problem was that my old XF86Config file
that worked under a previous installation of X under Slackware was referencing
my mouse as /dev/mouse, being /dev/mouse a symlink to /dev/psaux, the real
device. After I changed the XF86Config file to reference the real file
in /dev everything worked fine.

Try looking at the differences between your Slackware setup and your
new Debian setup. Take a look at the log files from the X server. The answer
has to be there.

Regards,

E.-

--