Newbie question on serial ports in Linux - please help!

     Hi all!

     After reinstalling Debian Linux 1.1 I can't get my computer to speak
     with my modem (standard USR Sportser 33.6). When running Minicom or
     pppd nothing happens. Because I'm really a beginner at Linux I don't
     know where to look. It seems that my installation lacks serial
     communication support.

     And by which device should I call my modem which is connected to the
     second serial port? /dev/cua1 or /dev/ttyS1? Where can I find out more
     about this?