Diald and Dpkg

Hello all,

  I am using Diald for Dial on demand, with PPP... it works fine, as I send
mail, telnet or try and connect to an adress outside my local environment. My
ISP get called up, connects... and after I've been idle for a moment, it hangs
up.

  Yet, there are some hang-overs... diald seems to hang-up on my ISP for some
reason.  in the midst of communications... if I'm not mistaken, I think this
is due to time being a little too short on some occasions, especially if the
ISP is a little slow (mine is :-).

  Another matter, is with dpkg... I have installed on my system GNU's
text utilities  (the latest gnu'ish versions) and md5sum.  They don't seem to
work the same way as some dpkg expects.  This is obviously due to the
behaviour of md5, or md5sum.  The normal answer of md5 checksum is

'16 byte checksum' /the/program

...however, dpkg seems to want this as

/the/program '16 byte checksum'

...or just as

'16 byte checksum'

  And reports that md5sum gave malformatted output... editing the lines in
/var/lib/dpkg/status to reverse the order of the sum and file, makes dpkg
go through and configure.

  As the form of 'md5' is the one more common, shouldn't dpkg support both
forms?  or use a standard switch to ascertain the format of the output?