Re: PPP dial up connection help

At 12:31 PM 1/1/97 -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Knight wrote:
>
>> OK, I'm a super newbie at Linux. I have it installed, and tried to set up a
>> PPP dial up threw an external modem. I think I am correct in using
>> /dev/ttys2 as my modem on port 3.
>> When I go to establish a connection it says "System lacks PPP kernel
>> support" Either I messed up the install, or I am missing a Debian package
>> for PPP support. Also on the subject of packages, what packages will I need
>> to install to get the most use out of my internet connection? and what
>> packages if any to support them. As of now all that is installed is the
>> files on the install disks. Looking forward to learning a new OS.
>>
>This error message is very uninformative. You will get this when the port
>you try to use is already in use (for instance), and in this case, it
>probably means you have a getty running on that tty. Check your inittab
>file in etc and see if this is the conflict.
>If this isn't it, are you using kerneld to load modules? Is ppp a module?
>On some systems kerneld can't get pppd up fast enough (but I'm not sure
>that it causes this error) so you will need to explicitly install it by
>listing it in /etc/modules.
>
>If none of this works, give another holler.
>
>Luck,
>
>Dwarf

Heh...well I seem to have it dialing now, it was a stupid mistake on my
part, I had the modem as /dev/ttys2 I changed it to /dev/ttyS2 and now it
works. Like I said I am a real newbie to linux...I have to get use to a OS
that is very case sensitive, I've been in the point and click world of
windows too long <G>

Eddie