Re: WordProcessor + SoundCard + ZIP & PRINTING

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, ?lex Maneu wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Do you know if there is any good word processor
> for Linux? (I mean like WordPerfect, or, at least,
> like windoze WordPad). If so, where can I find it?

WordPerfect 7.0 is available from Corel ($$).

The StarOffice suite is available on CD-ROM from Caldera and can be
downloaded (essentially unlimited trial period for non-commercial use)
from ftp.gwdg.de in /pub/linux/staroffice.

> I also have another question. I finally recompiled
> the kernel (I needed it to support my soundcard).
> When finally I could recompile the kernel with
> a normal size, etc., I see that I can't hear
> anything through my speakers. The computer does
> as if the soundcard were recognized (for
> example, when I type "bplay sound.au" or
> "cat sound.au > /dev/audio" it does like if
> it were reproducing the sound. But I can't hear
> anything. It's not a speakers problem or even a
> hardware problem. It's software. My soundcard is
> a Logitech SoundMan Wave, fully compatible with
> SoundBlaster16 & with MPU/OPL4 & OPL2/OPL3 (or
> something similar). The adresses: I/O: _220_ (can
> be 230, 240 or 260, IRQ: _7_ (can be 3,5,7), DMA:_1_
> (can be 1,5, (7)).

What does 'cat /dev/sndstat' report?

Bob

----