Re: .bash_profile and TCP/IP

I believe you can do this by something like the following:

  if [ "`tty | grep -v ttyp`" != "" ]; then
    startx
  fi

but I would test it first by replacing startx with echo "hello world".
Note, try echo $TERM to see why your other solution didn't work (should
be linux).  This eliminates the problem that .bash_profile is run in a
telnet and by xterms that are told to act like login shells (the way I
like them to act).

Good luck,
Brandon