Re: smail / fetchmail and ppp problems

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> > Ok.  I've narrowed it down -- smail doesn't like mail addressed to
> > "user@localhost" -- if I tell fetchmail to use procmail as the delivery
> > agent,  everything is fine,  but otherwise sendmail seems to send itself
> > into infinite loops trying to deliver to "localhost" and then it just
> > returns "too many hops" errors.
> >
> Try to add localhost to the "hostname=" line in /etc/smail/config.
> Like hostname=localhost:foo:foo.domain.com

Yes.  Thanks -- I discovered this early this morning.

Shouldn't smailconfig automatically assume that
	hostname=localhost:foo:foo.domain.com
should be added in /etc/smail/config?  The only way to do this currently
is to answer the "Is this system known by any other names?" question with
"Yes;  localhost" ... is there a case where you _wouldn't_ want this,  and
if so,  is it a _default_ one?

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |