Re: getting started in Xwin (Help)

kotsya@u.washington.edu (David Stern) writes:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 23:35:55 GMT, "Rick" wrote:
> > Matrox Mystique II, 4mb
>
> Getting vga mode to work should be pretty simple.  The only reason svga
> might not be as easy is that I dunno if your vid card is supported and
> it'd be advisable to find out your monitor specs.  Anyway, this is how
> I'd do it:
> <snip>

The Matrox Millenium II isn't supported by the version of xfree86 that
ships with Debian bo (1.3.1).  However, it is supported by a later
version of Xfree86, so you can get it to work; basically, what I did
was install xbase, xvga16, xsvga, then I went through and set up a vga
system more or less as David Stern described.  I then downloaded the
XFree86 binaries from the XFree86 site and installed them on top of
the Debian stuff.  I posted a message a bit back describing this
procedure in detail - I still have a copy somewhere, and can send that
along if the mailing list archives are still in disarray.  (Does the
search engine work yet?  If not, does anyone in charge of it care?)

(I was doing this because I have a Matrox Mystique 220, for which the
situation is similar in terms of which X supports it.)