Re: Fetchmail and Exim config problem

"Gerald Belton" <gbelton@bellsouth.net> writes:

> I'm very close to have all of my net functions working.  I can ftp,
> ping, and browse the web with Netscape.  I can get mail from my ISP
> with netscape, but I really don't want to be stuck with that as my
> mail reader.
>
> I'm trying to configure exim and fetchmail.  I've read all the
> documentation and I still can't solve my current problem.
>
> With exim running as a demon from root, I type the following:
>
> # fetchmail -u gbelton -p POP3 -s mail.msy.bellsouth.net
>
> and it returns the following error messages:
>
> fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address 'gbelton'
> fetchmail: can't even send to calling user!
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> mail.msy.bellsouth.net

Do you use the username "gbelton" on your local system?  If not, look
into the manual of fetchmail for the meaning of "there" and "here"
strings in the config file.  Here is my config file with pop3 user
Torsten.Hilbrich and local user torsten as an example:

poll pop.combox.de protocol pop3 user Torsten.Hilbrich there is torsten here password <ommitted>

This is /etc/fetchmailrc and I call "fetchmail -f/etc/fetchmailrc" as
root for retrieving new messages.  fetchmail version is 3.8-0

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie