Re: smail / fetchmail and ppp problems

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Will Lowe wrote:

> Xdefer: <<harpo@localhost>> reason: (ERR175) host retry file locked
> And if I do "rm /var/spool/smail/retry/smtp/localhost",  I get these in
> the msglogs.
> Xdefer: <<harpo@localhost>> reason: (ERR148) transport smtp: connect:
> Connection refused

Ok.  I've narrowed it down -- smail doesn't like mail addressed to
"user@localhost" -- if I tell fetchmail to use procmail as the delivery
agent,  everything is fine,  but otherwise sendmail seems to send itself
into infinite loops trying to deliver to "localhost" and then it just
returns "too many hops" errors.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to be listening on port 25,  either ... <telnet
localhost 25> works sometimes,  other times I get "connection refused"
errors.  Same when I try to connect directly to port 25 from a remote
hosts ... sometimes it works,  sometimes it doesn't.

					Thanks.
                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|The problem with computers:                                             |
|                      rivendell[501] [~]> love me                       |
|                      bash: love: command not found                     |
|                      rivendell[502] [~]> hug me                        |
|                      bash: hug: command not found                      |