Re: a hypothetical, some questions and merry christmas...

> If I wanted to connect 2 debian machines together with ethernet cards ...
> How would I set it up so that the 2 computers can share files and
> printers...

use NFS to export home directories and the like from one of the machines.
Eithr use the print-server software (i forget the name), or put the printer
onthe ehternet.

> What if one of the machines was a windows machine...?

Your sould would be in jeapordy.  However, you could compile the kernel for
IPX and use samba to export files to the windows machine.  However, be sure to
draw a pentium around it before launching windows or otherwise trafficing in
demons.

> What if they where both windows machines ? :)

Umm, you'd be a bad person? :)

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.