Re: How do I use the source package disributions?

"Stan Brown" wrote:
  >	Sounds liek a stupid question I know. First the reason. I am trying to
  >	get amanda to work on my debian box. I am still on bo and there is no
  >	.deb binary, so I think simple i'll just grab the hamm source stuff.
  >
  >	I found the .orig file and a .diff file. I thought I could just untar
  >	the .orig, and then pun pathch < from the .diff file. But this results
  >	in lot's of files in the directory I am working dorm, and not in the
  >	appropriate subdirectories.
  >
  >	What am I doing wrong?

Take as an example bible-kjv.  These are the files in the Debian archive:

bible-kjv_4.00-4_i386.deb         <-- binary package

bible-kjv_4.00-4.diff.gz      }
bible-kjv_4.00-4.dsc          }   <-- source
bible-kjv_4.00.orig.tar.gz    }

(In the case of a package written for Debian, there may not be a .orig.tar.gz)

Download all three components of the source -- let us say to /tmp.

Then cd to the directory under which you want to put the source and run

   dpkg-source -x /tmp/bible-kjv_4.00-4.dsc

(substituting, of course, the correct .dsc filename.)

This will create the directory bible-kjv-4.00 in the current directory,
containing the original source with Debian changes applied.

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.