Firewalling - has to be separate machine?

I may switch from ISDN to a "business class" cable modem service that
routes packets between my home and office directly from the cable modem
head through ATM VPC. IE, this traffic is supposedly not at risk.

(I hope I have the above correct; it's not my area of expertise)

But I would also see the internet and the world would see me. Can I
configure my Linux system to protect myself from access from anywhere
other than the office (and maybe my Mom's house) or do I need to place a
second physical PC acting as a firewall between me and the cable modem?

I would hope to retain normal internet access from home (web, ftp, etc).

...RickM...