Re: smail not starting on boot

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> After a few attempts, smail finally runs, but fails to start on boot as it is
> supposedly configured to do.
>
> /etc/init.d/smail does exist.  Is there something else I need to look at?

That you can't find /etc/init.d/smail is right, because it is supposed to
be started on demand by inetd.

However, something bad seems to have happened to the smail postinst
script, resulting in the smail entry getting commented out in
/etc/inetd.conf.

Uncomment the smtp line and it will work again (maybe you
need to give inetd a HUP signal before it notices the change, not sure.)

Cheers,

Joost