Re: samba

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Aaron Walker wrote:

> If it uses TCP/IP, how does Win95 see it in Network Neighborhood?
>
> Fenrick wrote:
>
> > > Lets say I have a Win95 box and a Linux box.  Does Win95 view the samba
> > > connection as TCP/IP or NetBEUI?
> >
> > It uses TCP/IP.

It's simple. NetBIOS runs on top of either IPX, NetBEUI or TCP/IP. Simply
'bind' TCP/IP to 'Client for Microsoft Networks', set up Samba and the
computers can see each other. Especially on large networks, TCP/IP is a
much better protocol to use than the other two. If you only have two
Windows computers NetBEUI is the easiest to set up, but that protocol was
'designed' to be used on small networks only.

Remco