Re: A question regarding hardware

> To:            "Lightning Firestormer" <lightningfire@lightspeed.net>
> Cc:            debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject:       Re: A question regarding hardware
> From:          Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu>
> Date:          13 Dec 1997 10:20:01 -0500

>    (B) If not, is there anything that can be done to get it to detect?
>
> Yes.  There is a compile-time kernel option to switch on support for
> Promise IDE interface cards.  You could turn this on and recompile.
> Possibly, the default kernel includes this, but I'm not certain of
> that.

The only problem that I could see with this would be that I'd sort of
need to get things INSTALLED first in order to get the compiler
installed and get the option turned on.  Thing is, my main hard drive
is connected to said controller, making installation
rather.....interesting.   Only other drive on the system is the Jaz,
which is slow as all hell.   I guess I _could_ always move the hard
drive onto the interface on the motherboard, temporarily (I don't
normally use it because of its not supporting DMA/33), and then move
it back onto the Promise card after the kernel is recompiled.  It's
not the cleanest way to get things working, but I guess it WOULD
work.

Lightning