Re 12 virtual consoles

[original message got lost when my debian-user folder got automagically
 cleaned out at midnight. mea culpa... ]

at a guess, I think what you want is more along the lines of 'screen'
(available as a .deb in the 'misc' directory). it's a nice terminal
multiplexer that permits up to 9 login or non-login shells to run on
a single terminal (or VC), and provides some very nice capabilities
such as detach/reattach ability, cut'n'paste, and typescripts besides.
(having your programs' controlling process independent of the physical
terminal is a wonderful thing, btw, if you have to telnet over a flaky
connection or hop between X and textmode.)

9 screens per console * 12 virtual consoles = 108 possible screens.
that should be sufficient. :>

cheers,

 --- matthew powers ---

`` and what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good --
	need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ''