Re: Anyone have any good help files for the learning Linux fan?

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:28:12 +0300, cs51wcs wrote:
> I'm looking for a good file for  that will be able to answer some of my =
> questions about Linux. I've read all the included how-to's, but still =
> have many questions.  I currently only have e-mail access and am not =
> able to browse or ftp.

Hi Scott,

You pose a common, yet unsuspectingly complex, question.  Being fairly
new to Linux myself, I may, or may not, have a decent take on your
perspective.  I'm going to take a stab at your request, in a roundabout
way (this is long, sorry).

While I've been somewhat new to linux for the past six months, I was
only freshly new to Linux for a relatively short time, perhaps a couple
months. The initial adjustment is the most difficult transition.
Slowly, piece by piece, you'll probably get to know Linux better, and
soon you'll feel like part of the Linux crowd, and have gaudy
.signature file exalting Linux. :-)  Well, maybe not that last part,
but you see where I'm going with this.

Now to the brunt of the matter. It's difficult to answer your question
straight out, even with ftp and web access. Incidentally, there is a
way of getting ftp access via e-mail (sorry, I forget what that package
is called), assuming the file you want is within your quota, but I
gather that you're looking for a sort of quick-start guide, or a tonic
for early Linux woes.

The HOWTO's are an excellent resource, however Linux is very dynamic,
and some of the HOWTO's I've found tend to be a little bit general or
technical in nature, and often slightly out of date, and most of the
information you're going to desire to configure your system may be
somewhat more personalized and current, and may need to be translated
to a different level of understanding.  By the way, make sure you have
an easy way to read those tarball howto's, either with a shell script
such as that found in the Tips-HOWTO, or else using FileRunner or
MidnightCommander.

Your understanding of Linux will continually improve everytime you
apply your knowledge, so it would be difficult to write a beginner's
quick start guide, because by the time you were half way through, you'd
be at a higher skill level(assuming you practiced along the way).
Also, Linux is a sufficiently vast and unlimited domain such that you
can use Linux for a long time and still have many deep and wide chasms,
even if all Linux development were to completely cease, and surely that
will not happen anytime soon.  Clearly, a fresh beginner's needs differ
markedly from those of a year-old beginner.  So, where to start a
beginner's guide?

One of the best ways to become acquanted with Linux is to pick up a
good book.  I know they don't give them away, but there are a number of
excellent Linux books out right now, one of the more popular ones of
which is Running Linux.  (My copy is currently 7 inches from my
keyboard, as are a couple other O'Reilly books.)

The reason I recommend a book is because it takes the information you
and I require and packages it in an informal, almost conversational,
style, which you and I can usually come to terms with. It's also
indexed, can be read at lunch or on the bus (or before muster on the
ship, as the case may be :-).  You might look for unix books at your
library, I found a good number, even at local libraries.

While I sub-consciously curse the volume of the mailing lists, which is
ever-increasing, I find the ideas and examples and conversational,
practical, up-to-date questions and answers very relevant, so I save
favorites in a folder, which I can call upon when needed by using my
e-mail client to search for a keyword. Over time what I save has
changed remarkably.  You might already have a Linux folder setup and be
doing this, it's a common practice.

By reading the mailing list, I not only solve problems and manage day
to day issues, but I also learn the language of Linux that books rarely
yield.  This might not seem very important at first glance, but it is
actually invaluable to me because it is a sort of catalyst or bonding
agent that melds all the information into my ideas which are then able
to be recalled when needed, and which will form the basis of how I
personalize your Linux box, as well as other future departure points.
Lots of little bits and pieces.

With windoze, one often does not have so many choices, but with Linux
there are many choices to be made with regard to window managers,
editors, e-mail clients,.. and with Linux one is presented with the
task of administering services to users, and one's configuration files
become increasingly valuable, so backups become more of a requirement;
in essence, Linux requires more on the sys admin side.  It takes time
and effort, but the reward is knowledge and skills which afford more
agility and might for computing tasks, all at a price which cannot be
beat (unless you buy microsoft's claims).

So, where to start a "beginner's guide"? I wish I knew.  Familiarity
with shell commands is probably important.  Classic programs like vi
and emacs deserve a once-over.  But who can survive without
dialup-networking or web-browsers (even if you use a text browser like
lynx)?  How does one choose an e-mail client or mail transport agent?
An X-window window manager?  That's why I like the mailing lists, it's
like an all-you-can-eat buffet--there's always more than you could ever
want. :-)

One of my favorite resources is the ubiquitous FAQ.  It has always
seemed odd to me that FAQ's are often the MBD's (most buried documents).

Indirectly your question brings up the larger questions of the
direction of help for linux users, and a common system administration
interface. There will probably not be a common help interface very
soon, a good part of which is due not only to the numerous document
formats, but to the simple fact that many Linux users do not use
X-windows, which is in ways limiting.  Common system administration
interfaces are likewise challenged.  Fortunately, Linux developers work
at the speed of caffeine, and improvements are just over the horizon.

One of the key concepts I had a difficult time adjusting to with Linux
is the "try it out and see if it works" approach.  This is about as
comfortable as leaving the womb, but it is often the best (or only) way
to learn.

One other difficulty I had was becoming familiar with the documents
which were already on my hard drive, but which I was unfamiliar with.
If you installed the linux gazzette packages, you probably have some
pleasantly informative reading ahead of you.  It's in html, which you
can read with lynx if you don't have a graphical browser.  (I think the
lynx package is in the standard base directory, but I've found a few
nice packages in non-free, contrib, also.)

You might also want to ask for a subscription to Linux Journal as a
holiday gift idea. ($24, I think)

You probably don't have access to irc, but there are also Linux
InterRelayChat channels which are alleged to provide support (didn't
for me, though).

There are also volunteer organizations which provide one on one support
to linux users, but I haven't tried those out.

If your isp carries usenet newsgroups, there are a number of linux
related groups, try doing a search to see what yours carry.  Mine even
has the debian groups.  This has the advantage of archiving roughly the
last thousand messages, with search abilities, without having those
thousand posts being filtered by me.  Note that Debian is not a usenet
group, it is translated by certain subscribers to look like one, I
don't know the details.

Another concept which still baffles me is the spirit of cooperation
amongst linux users and developers.  If you've done your homework,
there are people that are willing to help you. :-)  So if you ever have
a problem, and you've done your homework, and you're stuck, post the
list.  The only difficulty I've had with this approach is that it
sometimes requires more patience than I'm accustomed to displaying.  At
times like those (they're decreasing, as I learn more), I found it
useful to take a break, come back later with a better attitude. If
you're not getting the response on the list you're looking for, develop
a group of people who you can send mail to.

There are even LUG's (Linux User's Groups) in most areas that meet for
various activities and events.

I know this is longer than hell, so I'll stop now. :-)

--
David Stern

StarOffice 4.0 for Linux Beta Install Guide
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/