Looking for Linux rplay testers

rplay is an audio system I developed on Suns a few years ago that
until now had never worked very well on Linux.  I spent some time this
past week learning about the OSS driver and added some code to get
rplay working well on my Debian 1.3 Linux 2.0.32 systems.

I'm looking for people to test this new version and let me know
whether or not it works.  If you're interested you can obtain the GPL
source distribution from:

    http://rplay.doit.org/dist/rplay-3.3.0a1.tar.gz

My plans are to someday create a debian package for rplay and maybe
convince the maintainers of the xpilot, xlockmore, xboing, fvwm, and
ctwm packages to enable the builtin rplay support.

Thanks.

(I'll include the README.linux and README files below)

rplay README.linux - notes for Linux users.

Linux support is based on the Open Sound System driver included with
most Linux kernels.

/dev/dsp is used by default with CD quality output -- 44100 Hz,
16-bit, 2 channels.  These parameters can be changed using the
--audio-* command line options and/or ~/.rplaydrc.

When /dev/audio is used, rplayd uses 8000 Hz, 8-bit, 1 channel, and
ulaw output.

/dev/mixer is used to control the volume and configure output ports.
rplay supports headphone, lineout, and speaker.  Ports that aren't
enabled have their volume set to zero.

The --audio-fragsize rplayd option can be used to control audio device
buffering.  Fragment sizes must be a power of 2 greater than 16.  By
default, rplayd lets the audio driver pick an approriate fragment size
which has about a 0.5 second delay.  Example sizes:

    256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192

Reading audio from CDROM uses /dev/cdrom by default.  Make this a
symbolic link to your real CDROM device.  For example:

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Oct  1 12:46 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

/dev/cdrom1, /dev/cdrom2, and /dev/cdrom3 can also be created if
available.  Tracks can be played using:

    $ rplay cdrom:     # play entire CD
    $ rplay cdrom:5    # play track 5
    $ rplay cdrom:1-3  # play tracks 1, 2, 3

CDROM support only works on non-SCSI CDROM devices, I think.

rplay 3.3.0 README
Copyright (C) 1993-97 Mark Boyns <boyns@sdsu.edu>

RPlay is a flexible network audio system that allows sounds to be
played to and from local and remote Unix systems.  Sounds can be
played with or without sending audio data over the network using
either UDP or TCP/IP.  RPlay audio servers can be configured to share
sound files with each other.

Support for RPlay is included in several applications.  These include
xpilot, xlockmore, xboing, fvwm, and ctwm.

The RPlay audio server is known to work well on Linux, SunOS 4.1.x,
and Solaris 2.x.  FreeBSD, Irix, and HPUX are known to work but the
current status of these drivers is unknown.  Linux support is based on
the Open Sound System (OSS) driver so other systems using this driver
might work with a few modifications.

See the COPYING file for license information.
See the INSTALL file for compilation and installation instructions.
See the NEWS file for a list of user-visible changes.
See the PORTING file for help with porting RPlay to other systems.
See the TODO file to find out what may be fixed/changed/implemented.

This distribution includes:

rplayd - The rplay audio server.  Support for playing the following
         sound formats: au, snd, aiff, wav, voc, ub, ul,
                        G.721 4-bit, G.723 3-bit, G.723 5-bit, GSM
         Sounds can also be read and played directly from a CDROM.

rplay - Sound player which communicates with rplayd to play sounds.

rptp - Simple RPTP client.

xrplay - A X11/XForms RPlay audio control panel.

librplay - A library used by RPlay clients to communicate with RPlay servers.
           Supports both RPLAY and RPTP protocols.

doc - RPlay documentation.

contrib - More RPlay applications, pointers to programs that support RPlay,
          and patches which add RPlay support to several programs.

There's a mailing list you can subscribe to by sending e-mail to
`rplay-request@doit.org' containing a line similar to:

subscribe username@hostname

submissions should be sent to `rplay@doit.org'.

Send suggestions and bug reports to Mark Boyns <boyns@sdsu.edu>.
Remember to always include the rplay version and system type in your
messages.